Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Verbal

I liked what my friend Jen, who also has a very verbal toddler had to say on her blog:

"Now, this is not a "my kid's smarter than your kid" post. The idea of "multiple intelligences" has been widely publicized, and I think we all more or less understand that individuals can have natural proclivities in one area and not in others. Intelligence is not easily defined, nor can it be identified with narrow skills sets.

I share Kate's unique Kate-ness with you, dear reader, so that you can rejoice in knowing her along with me. I am truly grateful to have been gifted with knowing and caring for her. She is a heck a lot of fun."

It is a joy spending time with Claire and having conversations with her. She never ceases to surprise me and entertain me with what she says. Yesterday it was, "Mommy said no ripping books." Today for the first time she told me "I love you" and hugged me. (It doesn't get much better than this, folks.) She asks for many of her books and even some library books by their full title. She knows her full name and is in fact chanting it right now as I type.

It especially reassuring and gratifying that she is so verbal because we were told that she might have serious problems due to her brain bleed. Also she had been slow at getting started with sitting, crawling, walking, eating, etc. I remember being shocked and dismayed months back when her Physical therapist told me she was about 6 months behind on some skills but was making good progress. Thanks be to God, she is catching up on these skills and is ahead of the game with talking. I am delighted to be able to be home with her and witness her growth day by day and share in her love for words.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hurrah for verbal tots! I'm glad our girls can be chatty together. :o)